Sunday, February 13, 2011

Stewards of the story

It's difficult to know when to end a story.  One just leads to another.  Today my friend, Jan Rowe (whose 59th birthday is tomorrow) asked me, "so how do you know when you're done?"  I have to go back to the remark my cousin Caroline Kearney Tudor made when we got together at Mark (her brother) and Pauline Kearney's home.  She talked about a phrase that struck her deeply...that we need to be good "stewards of the story."  So, I just keep telling the story.  Things I have posted are done so without much editing, just to get the story down.  I go back and add, delete, revise...all part of getting the story right.  If you are reading this, I hope these people come alive for you.  I remarked today that I wish I had known Louisa Locke.  I have no idea why.  She is beautiful...looks strong, intelligent.  I would love to ask her a million questions.  Maybe I'll come across something about her that should be told.  When will I know I'm done?  As long as there are stories to be told, I guess I will just keep telling them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...