Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Huckster Wagon

Mr. Beebout's huckster wagon was a variety store on wheels.  The wagon wound its way along bumpy country roads, the contents invariably shifting and in need of frequent reorganizing.  Its drawers were filled with thread and needles, candies, paper goods, pantry supplies, and more.  It was always a treat when Mr. Beabout came by.  He had a regular route...after stopping at Mrs. Householder's, he would drive on down to the Touby farm.  One day as the girls watched for him, he stayed longer than usual at Mrs. Householder's place.  Joan, the youngest, innocently remarked that, "Mr. Beebout must have dropped his drawers!"

As far as I know, we don't have any photos of Mr. Beebout and his huckster wagon.  I'd love to find one.  But I imagine that it might have looked something like this...


It was not uncommon for the huckster man to trade a chicken or eggs for goods from the wagon, but I don't know if Elsie ever did trades.  I'll have to ask Aunt Dorothy or my mother about that some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment...